Milton High School

About Milton High School

The school was known as Grant District High School from 1908 to 1933 and was first located in the Will White home at the confluence of Mud River and Newman's Branch. The first graduate was in 1908. The first principal was M. M. McGrath and the only woman principal at MHS was Louise Van Metre who took the helm in 1915.

In the same year, 1915, Milton became a 3 year high school and moved into thhe Old Central Building. The next year it became a 4 year high school.

In 1924, when William w. Givens was principal, Milton changed to a 6 year high school.



In 1927, Milton was given a Conditional First Class High School rating by the State Department.

From 1928 to 1933, many improvements and changes were implemented in the school system with Mr. Nutter serving as principal. Progress was rapid.

In the 1928-29 school term, all operations were moved to a bright modern facility overlooking Mud River Valley from the top of "Hog Lot Hill". By 1959, extensions covered the hill and adjoining land. Milton High School was built in the fall of 1956.

The above information is from: Doors to the Past



Several additions were made to the building in the years 1958, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1978, and 1986.

Milton High School was consolidated with Barboursville High School to form Cabell Midland High School in the 1994-95 school years.





This information was obtained by:

Information Concerning the Proposed Closing of Milton High School

Prepared in Pursuant to Code of West Virginia Chapter 18, Article 5, Section 13 and 13a and West Virginia Board of Education, Policy 6200



In 1979-80 school year there were 658 students.

In 1980-81 school year there were 654 students.

In 1981-82 school year there were 683 students.

In 1982-83 school year there were 675 students.

In 1983-84 school year there were 749 students.

In 1984-85 school year there were 704 students.

In 1985-86 school year there were 741 students.

In 1986-87 school year there were 752 students.

In 1987-88 school year there were 783 students.

In 1988-89 school year there were 764 students.



This information was obtained by:

Information Concerning the Proposed Closing of Milton High School

Prepared in Pursuant to Code of West Virginia Chapter 18, Article 5, Section 13a and West Virginia Board of Education, Policy 6200



Milton High School became Milton Middle School in 1994.





This information was obtained by:

West-End Elementary School Consolidated Elementary School , Education Specifications, ZMM, Inc. Architects and Engineers Charleston, WV, July 1, 1996 Revised August 6, 1996.





In 1981-82 school year there were 984 students.

In 1982-83 school year there were 1,014 students.

In 1983-84 school year there were 990 students.

In 1984-85 school year there were 993 students.

In 1985-86 school year there were 1,043 students.

In 1986-87 school year there were 1,038 students.

In 1987-88 school year there were 1,008 students.

In 1988-89 school year there were 988 students.

In 1990-91 school year there were 910 students.

In 1991-92 school year there were 916 students.


This information was obtained by:

Information Concerning the Proposed Closing of Barboursville High School

Prepared in Pursuant to Code of West Virginia Chapter 18, Article 5, Section 13 and 13a and West Virginia Board of Education, Policy 6200
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.