The West Virginia Board of Education has established four core values they plan to achieve through the A-F Accountability System:
1. Academic Performance
Students will demonstrate the achievement standard for mathematics and English/language arts (ELA). Academic growth will be assessed through 3 measures:
- Adequate Growth
- Observable Growth
- Growth of the lowest 25% of students
2. Academic Improvement
Students will demonstrate sufficient academic growth or improvement to achieve or maintain proficiency or competency in both content areas.
- Grade 3: Proficiency in reading
- Grade 8: Proficiency in math (concepts and procedures)
3. Academic Persistence
Students will demonstrate the ability to capitalize on opportunities to participate in instruction and learning activities and earn graduation credentials.
- Keeping up with their grade level peers
- Catching up to the level of their grade level peers
- Students moving off the at-risk subgroup
4. Postsecondary Readiness
Students will engage in advanced coursework and career credentialing opportunities in preparation for postsecondary success.
- Advanced coursework includes Advanced Placement (AP), dual enrollment and Earn a Degree and Graduate Early (E.D.G.E.) courses.
- Credentials include skills exams such as those offered in HVAC, MicroSoft Office, electricity, welding and more.
- Completers in a career technical education program (CTE)